Mental Maths at Home
Mental Maths at Home is a weekly, key skills homework set for Years 2 to 6. If your child is in these year groups, they will have a weekly stage to learn, and a test that follows the next
week. Mental Maths at Home focuses on specific skills that the children need to practise.
There are five stages:
- 'Life in the sea' - focusing on place value and number bonds. This level has
been specifically developed to focus on theYear 2 end of year expectations in terms of place value and the understanding of number.
- 'Pearl' - number bonds focusing on addition and subtraction concepts. This stage progresses in difficulty to
include number bonds up to 20. We would expect children in Year 2 and 3 to become increasingly efficient at this stage, requiring less time to complete the levels as they grow
- 'Bronze' - mulitplication tables. In Year 2, children are expected to know their 10x, 5x, 2x and 3x tables.
In Year 3, children are expected to know their 4x, 6x and 8x tables. From Year 4, children are expected to know all of their multiplication tables up to 12x.
- 'Silver'- multiplication tables to a multiple of 10. This level involves calculations where we would find the
tables for x20 or x50. The purpose of this stage is to develop the child's manipulation with multiples of 10. Children also have to learn their equivalent fractions, decimals and
percentages. We would expect Year 4 and Year 5 children to work predominantly on silver.
- 'Gold'- advanced skills, involving number cubes, fractions, decimals and percentages. We would expect
children to work on the gold stage during Year 5 and Year 6.
Children will be set the level by their class teacher and receive weekly practice sheets. Please see the year group
section for games the children could play as they learn their stage at home.